Alert level 2
Recent and upcoming changes
From 31 December
- if you have tested positive for COVID-19, you can leave self-isolation after 7 full days
From 26 December
- up to 50 outdoor and 30 indoor spectators can attend community sports events
- 2 metre social distancing will be required in offices and all public premises
- a maximum of 6 people can meet in public premises
- licenced premises will need to take additional reasonable measures to protect customers and staff
- a maximum of 30 people can attend indoor events and a maximum of 50 people at outdoor events
- people attending weddings or civil partnership receptions or wakes should take a lateral flow test before attending
- nightclubs will close
What you must do at alert level 2
At alert level 2 you must:
- Wear a face covering (unless you have a reasonable excuse not to wear a face covering) in all indoor public places, including when not seated in a pub, café or restaurant.
- Meet no more than 5 other people at a café, restaurant, pub or other public premises (unless with your household of a larger number). This applies to both outdoor and indoor areas of the premises.
- Work from home if you can.
- Self-isolate for 7 days if you test positive for COVID-19. You should take a Lateral Flow Test (LFT) on day 6 and day 7. If either LFT is positive, you should remain in isolation until 2 negative LFTs or after day 10, whichever is sooner.
- Not take part in an organised event indoors of more than 30 people or outdoors for more than 50 people. All organised events must be organised by a responsible body and have a risk assessment.
At alert level 2 you should:
- Follow guidance on limiting the number of people you meet who you do not live with.
- ‘Flow before you go’. Take a lateral flow test if you don’t have symptoms before going out, especially when meeting others. If it is positive, do not go out and take a PCR test within 24 hours.
- If you meet people other than your household meet them outdoors wherever possible. If meetings indoors make sure it is well ventilated.